Sunday, July 11, 2010

Propane, Diamond Beach 7-11-10






Today did not go as I had planned, but it turned out better than I thought it would! I had a rough start this morning due to some weird pain in my chest when I breathe waking me up all night, and feeling even worse this morning. Fortunately it goes away a bit with Ibuprofen, so that's what I've been living on today. While waiting for the pain to go away, I talked to George Finnell on the phone about the strange bird I've been trying to figure out since I got here. We went through a list of birds on a really cool website he knew, listening to their calls. We still haven't figured it out, but I guess I'll keep trying!

When the pain was finally subdued, I headed for the stand. After it was all open and ready to go, and I had made two lovely batches of kettle corn (which were bought the minute they were on the table), I had to stop due to running out of propane. Ray told me to take it to get filled, etc... so I loaded the HUGE thing in my car and dragged it to the gas station, where they refused to fill it because it was more than 12 years old. Go figure. So we loaded it back into my car and we are going to swap it out tomorrow in Soldotna.

After that, I went back, completely closed down the stand, and decided to go on a hike Ray had recommended. Eddy and I went down the dirt road and found the trail at the end of it. We headed down the trail (yes, literally down), and eventually got to one of the most beautiful places I've ever been in my life. It was called Diamond Beach. Eddy and I pretty much had it to ourselves. I sat and wrote in my journal for a while, barefooted on a rock, while Eddy played in the waves. The pictures attached to this are from that beach. It was fantastic. I really needed something like that today.

I haven't been to a beach with crashing waves for a while. This was the highest I've seen the waves since I've been to Alaska. They were actually rolling and crashing on the shore. It was so hypnotic. What a gorgeous day. All the rainy, cloudy days here really make you appreciate days like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment