Friday, June 18, 2010

McBride, BC aftermath to Smithers, BC 6-15-10







Well, after talking to Tom LaVergne, who is a really great source for good advice (stop laughing, Tom, it's true), I called my insurance company and they said they might be able to help out and to fax them an estimate from the body shop.

After talking to them, I talked to the hotel people. They told me where to go for a mechanic. Once I drove to the mechanic, he said I'd have more luck at the body shop in town. When I got to the body shop, I met this German/Canadian guy who worked there and said he'd bring his pickup to the hotel to get my rack, box, and bike. He wired everything back onto the car so I could keep going and get it fixed at a dealer somewhere in Alaska.

Today I didn't get as far as the last couple days, just because I wasn't able to leave until noon. Unfortunately, the rack wasn't the end of my troubles for the day. After driving 30 miles out of town, I stopped to get some water out of the back. Unfortunately, the back was locked, so I went to the driver door, hit the button, and shut it. After trying the back door again and finding it locked, I realized in sheer terror that I'd hit the button the wrong way, and had locked myself out. The car was running, Eddy was inside, and I had absolutely nothing on me. After kicking the car a couple times, cursing at myself, and feeling like a complete moron, I flagged down a passing car. Fortunately, they were able to open the door with a wiener roaster. Wow.

After that ridiculous start to the day, it was smooth sailing and beautiful scenery. Tonight, Eddy and I are camping in Smithers, BC. It's beautiful here. We met a couple from Vancouver headed for Alaska as well. They are riding motorcycles, but not obnoxious Harleys. :) They are really nice.

I've noticed that Canadians in general seem to be much friendlier and respectful of others than Americans as a whole. It's rather refreshing.

Tomorrow we're taking the Cassiar Highway. Christine, my Alaska consult/phone tour guide, says it's gorgeous. Everything here is gorgeous! I hope this campground doesn't get extremely cold overnight. I can't believe it's almost ten and it's still very light.

7 comments:

  1. It's "sheer" terror, dearie...you're not afraid of scissors, are you?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on now! You've only been in C-eh-N-eh-D-eh for 2 days and you're already bashing Americans? Plus your spelling's gone down the drain, too...Leads me to only one conclusion: Stop drinking the local water! There's something in it!

    P.S. It wouldn't be an adventure if stuff didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have the most interesting stories! Thanks for sharing your trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I fixed the spelling errors! Anyway, I thought there would be more than that. :-) I'm not bashing Americans, I'm just praising Canadians. It certainly has been an adventure! :-) No problem, Gret, glad you are reading it. It makes me feel like people are going through this with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm proud of you for handling your crisis on your own, but sorry about the problems you had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's okay... it all worked out. It only seems hopeless at first. ;-)

    ReplyDelete