Thursday, June 24, 2010

Bored in Fairbanks 6-19-10


Eddy and I made our way to Fairbanks after leaving the B&B. I had no idea where we were going or what we would do, as Ray wouldn't be there until 8pm or later, so we decided to head for Pioneer Park. I had no idea what this place was, but had been told I could walk Eddy around there. Both of us wanted some time outside the car.
Pioneer Park was not very exciting, but it did get us out. Oh, and I had the worst BLT sandwich EVER. It was actually hot there, and I wasn't impressed. We did meet a couple of nice ladies with their dogs and children who asked if we were going to the Solstice Festival. I said we were actually working a kettle corn stand there, and they said they'd stop by. Ray got hold of me and said he and his sister Mary were running late. I was so bored already I almost cried.
After driving around a little more, we found another park by the river. I threw Eddy's fake stick a few times before he got bored with bringing it back, so we started walking. After narrowly escaping the creepy guy who followed be up a bridge and kept asking me strange questions, we went back down the bridge and left the park.
After driving around aimlessly, I found my savior... a Barnes & Noble. It was actually a really cool store in that they had a huge open stone fireplace completely surrounded by lounge chairs. After messing around on the internet for a bit, I snuggled up in a chair and read more of the book I was working on, "The Book Thief." It's a really great book so far, by the way. The time was finally melting away when Ray called and said where to meet him.
We met in the parking lot near where we'll be working tomorrow. It was so nice to see a familiar face! Ray treated us to dinner at Boston's, and we went to stay at his cousins' place in THE North Pole, home of the tallest Santa in the world, I do believe. Apparently if you mail things from the North Pole, they stamp it in a special way, especially around Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment