Thursday, August 12, 2010

Disaster Averted, Preparation 8-9-10

I woke up (if indeed I ever did sleep) at 7:30am and started making phone calls. Some of the people reading this may have received one of these frantic calls asking for advice, phone numbers, or moral support. I was not excited about making the whole drive alone again, so I was feeling rather desperate to find a way for Jess to cross the border. Seriously... I had to think there was a way for her to get home other than buying a plane ticket. Other people must have this problem!

Fortunately, after five hours of calls, automated not-so-informational recordings, and holding for a human to answer, I got hold of American border crossing information/customs, and a very nice lady informed me that with a picture ID (a birth certificate is also helpful) and a little more questioning than usual, we can get Jess over the border as her "one time courtesy crossing." She said she didn't know how Canadian customs would feel about it, so she gave me another phone number. After waiting for another twenty minutes or so, a human being told me she didn't know why Americans think they have to have a passport to get into Canada because they don't require it at all. Words cannot describe the relief I felt after these two phone calls.

So, after informing Jess that she didn't have to buy a $400 ticket after all, we started packing and doing a few last things, and decided to leave tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment